Hello, hikers, and welcome. This page will be my ongoing attempt to track what is going on with hiking trails in the Columbia River Gorge and how they were (are) effected by the Eagle Creek Fire of 2017.
As of March, 2018, we still don’t know a lot. Word is the Historic Columbia River Highway through “waterfall alley” – including access to several very popular hikes – wasn’t expected to open until the summer of 2018. In addition, massive changes to traffic and parking patterns on that road are also being considered.
I do recommend these two blog posts from Tom Kloster at Wy’East Blog:
So stay tuned. Meanwhile, here are some resources to check out:
- Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area alerts.
- The Scenic Area’s general fire update page.
- The current Fire Closure Area.
- Friends of the Columbia Gorge has a great list of other places to go hiking.
- Friends of the Gorge news updates.
- The Field Guide at OregonHikers.org is always an amazing resource.